Teach your family about responsible pet ownership and find the right pet for you
Every Easter, adorable baby rabbits, chicks and ducklings are given as gifts. Sadly, many are often abandoned or admitted to shelters when the holiday is over. This Easter, you have a chance to make an important contribution to your children’s education by teaching them that adding a pet to the family is a big responsibility.
Rabbits make wonderful household pets. They’re affectionate, playful, social, and can even learn tricks! Bunny care fits into most work schedules as they are most active in the mornings and evenings and sleep through the day and night. Bunnies require a responsible owner who will provide them with a special diet, indoor care and a 10-year commitment. In return for your love and care, you’ll be rewarded with a bounty of bunny love!
Visit Seattle Humane online at seattlehumane.org to see our adoptable pets and learn how to be a responsible pet owner.
In addition to cute critters, Easter is a time for beautiful decor, delicious foods, and family and friends to share them with. With a few helpful tips from Seattle Humane, you can include your furry family members in your planning and still be sure that your pets stay safe and enjoy this holiday, too!
You know your pet best so you can anticipate how they will react to holiday visitors. Make a space available in a quiet room, away from commotion, and provide classical music, a soft bed, water, food and toys. Adding a piece of your clothing to the bed can provide comfort.
The foods we enjoy cooking and eating can be a problem for your pet. Rich, spicy or fatty food can cause problems ranging from stomach upset to severe pancreatitis. Make sure they have healthy treats and reduce their food at mealtime accordingly.
Additionally, don’t leave candy out. Chocolate can be fatal to animals, especially cats and small dogs.
This common Easter basket filler is tempting for our pets, particularly cats. When ingested, Easter grass can cause irritation or obstruction of your pet’s intestines. These digestive problems can result in a decrease in energy level and appetite, vomiting and diarrhea and could require several days in the vet hospital.
Although these flowers are beautiful and festive, they are poisonous plants if ingested by our pets. Common symptoms are vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite. If you suspect your pet has eaten a lily, seek veterinary care. Instead of chancing a trip to the vet, try faux lilies for the same look, but without the risk!
Pets are curious by nature and their noses are much more sensitive than a human’s nose – they can’t resist all of the delicious smells. Keep a close watch on your pet to ensure a safe holiday for everyone.