MTV and Logo TV Friday announced plans to simultaneously premiere Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word, on Friday, October 17, 2014 at 7 p.m. ET/PT. Hosted and executive produced by Emmy-nominated actress and transgender advocate Laverne Cox, the one-hour documentary will take viewers inside the lives of seven transgender youth. Ranging in age from 12 to 24, and hailing from across the country, each subject will share their determination to live their lives authentically, as the person they are meant to be. With varying levels of parental and social support, the documentary explores the intersection of transgender identities and race through each individual’s journey as they overcome challenges such as coming out, bullying, and anti-transgender violence.
“For many of us, the ‘T’ in LGBT means more than transgender, it also means truth,” said Cox. “The cast members in this documentary are fearlessly living their truths and in sharing their stories will send the message to other trans youth that it’s okay to be who you are.”
“Laverne Cox has been a pioneer in bringing transgender issues and stories into the national spotlight, and we are proud to work with her on this new documentary” said Stephen Friedman, President of MTV and Logo TV. “Every young person struggles to define their identity, but for transgender people that struggle is magnified. ‘The T Word’ shows how challenging it can be – and how inspiring it is when people discover themselves and truly live their authentic lives.”
The documentary profiles:
- Ari, an 18-year-old man from Manhattan, who graduated from high school and is starting college.
- Avery, a 20-year-old woman from Queens, New York, who shares her experiences dating.
- Daniella, a 20-year-old woman from the Bronx, New York, who speaks out against anti-transgender violence.
- Kye, a 24-year-old man in Brooklyn, New York, who became the first Division One transgender basketball player.
- L’lerret, a 20-year-old woman attending college in New Orleans, Louisiana, where she is an active member of BreakOUT!, a group fighting criminalization of transgender youth.
- Shane, a 22-year-old man from Baltimore, Maryland and a college student living with his girlfriend.
- Zoey, a 12-year-old girl from California, who is supported by her mother andtransferred out of her last school when the school administrators refused to acknowledge her as a girl.
Immediately following the documentary’s premiere, Cox will host the one hour “Trans Forum” with SuChin Pak live on Logo TV and MTV.com where she and the subjects of the documentary will discuss transgender issues as well as answer questions from a live audience and via social media.
Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word, is part of MTV’s “Look Different” campaign aimed at fighting racial, gender and anti-LGBT bias. In support of this documentary, the “Look Different” campaign will engage with the transgender community and will empower the audience at large to better understand the bias transgender youth experience on a daily basis while providing tips on how to support transgender equality. LookDifferent.org will serve as a resource hub, connecting viewers to resources and providing pathways to take action.
Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word is executive produced by Cox, Marshall Eisen, Betsy Forhan for MTV and Logo TV, Cheryl Horner Sirulnick for Gigantic! Productions, Michael Hirschorn for Ish Entertainment, and Eric Miclette.
Cox will also appear as a special guest on season two of MTV’s Faking It earlier in the week. She will play “Margot,” director of Hester High’s elite drama club, on an episode that will air on Tuesday, October 14 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on MTV.