The 2014 Seattle Storm season marks the 15th for the franchise. The past 14 years have seen two back-to-back No. 1 overall draft picks in Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird, two WNBA Championships in 2004 and 2010 and a WNBA-record 10 consecutive playoff appearances. In the annual GM Survey, KeyArena has been voted as “Best Home Court Advantage” for five straight years because of their dedicated fans, the Storm Crazies. To celebrate, the Storm is inviting the best fans in the WNBA to ‘Storm Out Loud’ during the 15th Anniversary season by actively participating in several season-long celebrations.
“I can’t believe that this season is the Storm’s 15th,” said Storm guard Sue Bird. “It’s been amazing to be part of such a journey, not only with the Storm and our Storm Crazies, but also in furthering opportunities for women in athletics across the country. I am excited to build on the successful past 14 years of Storm Basketball.”
The following events have been announced by the team:
15th Anniversary Ticket Package
- The 15th Anniversary ticket package is now on sale, starting at $68, here. With up to 40 percent savings, the package includes the following games:
- Friday, May 16 vs. Los Angeles, Opening Night: Celebrate the beginning of the 15th Season of Storm Basketball. The first 3,000 fans will receive a special edition 15th Anniversary Storm t-shirt. Starting in mid-April, fans are invited to vote on the t-shirt design on the Seattle Storm Facebook page.
- Friday, June 27 vs. Minnesota, Pride Kickoff: Celebrate Seattle Pride with the Storm! The first 3,000 fans will receive Storm rainbow beads to proudly wear throughout Pride Weekend!
- Thursday, July 31 vs. Indiana, 15th Anniversary Celebration: Join former Storm Head Coach Lin Dunn and former Storm athletes as they make their return to KeyArena. The Storm will celebrate the 15th Anniversary and relive key moments in Storm Basketball history.
- Sunday, August 17 vs. Phoenix, Fan Appreciation Night: During the 15 years of Storm Basketball, no one has been more important to the organization than the fans. Join the Storm for the final regular season game as the team honors all Storm Crazies on Fan Appreciation Night! The first 3,000 fans will receive a Storm t-shirt.
#Storm15 will be the official hashtag of the 2014 Storm season. Fans are encouraged to share their personal photos and favorite moments in Storm history on all Storm social media and web platforms and at the games using the hashtag.
15th Anniversary Website
The Storm’s 15th Anniversary Headquarters will be at 15.StormBasketball.com. At this site, fans can read and reminisce about Storm Basketball over the past 14 seasons, view uploaded photos tagged with #Storm15 on Instagram and view updated ticket promotions.
Eye on the Storm Video
To document the season, on the court and behind the scenes, the Storm will be producing a bi-monthly video series for all fans to enjoy. The series will be available for viewing on the 15th Anniversary website, the Seattle Storm Official YouTube page, as well as other social media platforms and during Storm local television broadcasts.
Other Storm 15th Anniversary Events
- Tuesday, July 22 vs. Phoenix, Championship Night: Join the Storm to celebrate the two WNBA Championships and the championships of the SuperSonics and Seahawks as part of Emerald City Championship Night.
- Sunday, August 3 vs. San Antonio, Tanisha Wright Celebration: The 2014 season marks Storm guard Tanisha Wright’s 10th season with the Storm and in the WNBA. She will become the third player to hit the10-year milestone in Seattle, following Jackson and Bird.
Seattle hosts Los Angeles in a preseason game on May 11 at 1 p.m. before hosting the Sparks in its home opener on May 16 at 7 p.m. Season ticket packages including exclusive benefits are still available at StormBasketball.com or by calling (206) 217-WNBA (9622).