Storm to Hold Fundraiser; Pink Jerseys to Feature ‘Swedish Cancer Institute’
The Seattle Storm announced today its details for Breast Health Awareness Night presented by Swedish Cancer Institute, set to take place on Saturday, July 8 vs. Los Angeles, with the tipoff set for 6 p.m. PT at KeyArena. In addition to learning about more ways to support the cause, fans will be able to donate to the Swedish Cancer Institute via a live auction that will include game-worn Storm items, as well as items from NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NWSL, and WNBA teams.
“The Breast Health Awareness game is a special night on the Storm schedule, creating a space for our franchise and fans to support those affected by cancer,” said Storm President & GM Alisha Valavanis. “The Swedish Cancer Institute does incredible work in our community, and we are honored to help raise awareness and financial support as part in our ongoing efforts and partnership with Swedish.”
For the game against the Sparks, Seattle will sport pink jerseys that include the Swedish Cancer Institute’s logo, and fans will also receive pink thunderstix to raise awareness. In April of 2016, the Storm entered into a multi-year marquee deal with Swedish Medical Center that includes its logo on home and away jerseys.
“We are thrilled to team up with the Storm on Breast Health Awareness Night. This night is a fantastic way to promote women’s health, by providing education and increasing awareness,” said Dr. ThomasBrown, Executive Director of the Swedish Cancer Institute, and co-chairman of the Providence Health & Services Personalized Medicine Program. “We are so thankful for this opportunity, as part of our partnership with the Storm, and we look forward to connecting with fans at the game.”
The Storm is hosting an online auction with all proceeds benefiting Swedish Cancer Institute. Fans can purchase the pink jerseys worn by the Storm during Saturday’s game, featuring autographs from each player. The auction can be accessed here, and it will remain open until 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Items will be displayed at the game, as fans in attendance are encouraged to bid using their mobile devices.
Breast Health Awareness Auction Item List 2017
- Seattle Storm – Autographed, game-worn jerseys and Breanna Stewart autographed, game-worn shoes
- University of Washington – 2 tickets to a UW football game
- Washington State University – 2 tickets to a WSU football game
- Seattle Mariners – Autographed Hisashi Iwakuma baseball and 4 tickets to a Mariners game
- Seattle Sounders – Stefan Frei #24 autographed jersey
- Seattle Seahawks – Autographed jersey
- Seattle Reign – 4 tickets to a Seattle Reign soccer game
- Phoenix Mercury – Autographed Diana Taurasi and Britney Griner basketballs
- San Antonio Stars – Autographed Kelsey Plum basketball and signed Moriah Jefferson jersey
- Boston Celtics – Team signed basketball
- Chicago Cubs – Signed Photo, Ben Zobrist, 2016 World Series MVP
- Portland Trailblazers – Team signed pennant
As Seattle does every game, a Swedish Honorary Coach will be recognized, but this will be no ordinary honoree. Darlene Fanus, the manager of the Swedish mammography program and mobile breast health services for the past 15 years, will be honored prior to tipoff. Fanus served a total of 9,200 women in 2016, as she and a team of clinicians and imaging techs served urban and rural communities in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.